Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Government Mission Statement

Before I clarify what I meant about governments going into the business of being more like a businesses, I would like to say this first:

One of the things that a government should ALWAYS remember is that it exists FOR the people that it is governing, and NOT the other way around. People do not exist for government to control. The powers that they are given by the people should be done willingly, and in good faith. This good faith is usually given with the understanding that those who they choose and support to lead them will do so with their best interests at heart.

Notice that I am not advocating the creation of a single global government, or a utopia. The only reason why I am not advocating those is because I know that they would never work. I will admit that the idea of those styles of living are nice to think about, since we would all be provided for, and would not have to worry about anything, no matter our intelligence, location, parents, etc. And while the idea of such a society is nice, it is also as impractical as it is alluring. While you might have a majority of people who are willing to trade their freedom for security, and are fine with not being able to better themselves in any way, there will inevitably be those who will not agree with such a way of life.

Let me make a list of several factors that I feel would forever prevent a utopia/global government from being created:

1.)Humans

Yep, that's my list.

Essentially, the one thing holding us all back from getting along fine as a whole, is the little trait I like to call humanity. We are all human and possess it in large quantities.

Take the world and just look at all of the different ways that our differences affect us. I mean, yes, those would actually be the easiest traits to get rid of: prejudices, beliefs, hatred, distrust, etc. if you were able to get the next generation of the entire world and keep them somewhere where they were not exposed to their cultures, and were taught that being of one group that makes up the whole world is the best thing that they can be a part of. That could actually work if it was ever able to be done, I have to admit. I mean, it actually makes sense if you think about it, so I'll give that one to the idea of a world government/utopia. But then, you have to take into consideration that there will always be someone, somewhere, who will think to themselves, "Even though I have the necessities of life, it would be nice if I could do better for myself, or have more freedom with how I could live my life..." and this is where I think that such a society could ever exist, because in order to keep everyone supplied for, they would only be able to give them just enough to live from day to day, or maybe a bit more since they would have to be subsidizing so many people.

Another point about this I would like to make would be that, in order to do this, everyone would have to be willing to share EVERYTHING with EVERYONE, and I sincerely doubt that this would go over well with a large majority of people in the world.

Also, trying to force this existence on people might work at first, but would eventually collapse in on itself as more and more people would be discontent with having been treated as slaves in the eyes of their government.

I can think of just one way to make such a large and single entity to become a reality, and that would be through brainwashing, or making people believe that their individual identities should be associated with that of their government, as opposed to themselves, for otherwise, I would not be able to see so many people giving up so much to take care of the rest of the world.

2 comments:

  1. I have more to add to this if you want it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean to this blog itself, or to the other one where you wanted to put your ideas?

    ReplyDelete